At a time when many states are experiencing severe fiscal distress, it is more important than ever to keep tabs on what is happening with the revenues that are coming in. That means making sure that taxpayer money is not being wasted on extravagant and ineffective giveaways to corporations in the name of economic development.
In the pages on each state and the District of Columbia reached by clicking on the map below, you will find essential information on subsidy practices and controversies. Each page contains:
- An overview of the state’s track record on the use of job subsidies.
- A list of key subsidy programs with descriptions, cost figures and links to sites that disclose the names of companies receiving tax breaks and other forms of financial assistance.
- Case studies of large and controversial subsidy deals.(Alphabetical index by company name.) For all fuller list, see our MEGADEALS report.
- A summary of the various ways that Wal-Mart avoids paying its fair share of taxes in the state.
- Links to leading subsidy watchdog groups.
- Other information on the loss of tax revenue through corporate giveaways.
We hope this information will serve as ammunition for groups that are trying to make economic development more accountable and to prevent subsidy abuse.