In beta: report bugs to Christine Wen
Discover How Much Revenue Governments in the United States Lose Every Year to Tax Abatement Programs
TAX BREAK TRACKER is the first national search engine for tax abatement disclosures per Statement No.77 of the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) for governmental entities - set forth by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB). For more information about this new accounting rule, visit our GASB-77 Resource Center.
This database already includes nearly 20,000 individual entries extracted from Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports (CAFRs) – each represents a reduction in tax revenue due to one or more economic development tax abatement programs as reported by a jurisdiction in a particular year, or the lack thereof: Many jurisdictions failed to comply with GASB 77.
Search by state or local governments from the drop-down menus below to find out the cost of economic development incentive programs to public services. For additional explanations, check out this user guide. If you do not see the locality you are looking for, you might find it here in this list of localities that failed to disclose their revenue losses:
Three ways to use this tracker:
- Select a state from the drop-down menu and click ‘Search’ to see:
- A list of state-level tax abatement programs and their resulting revenue losses: Click on a state-level program to see the details as reported in the state CAFR.
- A list of localities within that state and their reported revenue losses: Click on a locality to see tax abatement programs costs reported by that locality.
- Select a state from the drop-down menu, and then select the locality you are interested in. Click ‘Search’ to see a list of tax abatement programs reported by that locality. You will then be able to click on each program to learn the details.
- Start with the 50-state summary.
Send questions about the data to Christine Wen .
The Tax Break Tracker site was programmed by Rich Puchalsky of Grassroots Connection.
The database is non-exhaustive. New data entries are added continually and uploaded every three months. Updates will be announced on the home page and detailed in changelogs published on this page. If you do not see your locality in either the drop-down menu or the "failed to comply with GASB-77 list", we have not yet retrieved the data for it. Contact the project coordinator Christine Wen (email@example.com) to request data that has not yet been uploaded here, report an error, or make any other inquiries regarding GASB 77.